Apply for a SeNSS ESRC-funded Post-Doctoral Fellowship
SeNSS expects to offer a number of ESRC-funded Post-Doctoral Fellowships (PDFs). These provide an opportunity to consolidate their PhDs through developing publications, their networks, and their research and professional skills.
Please note that the 2019/20 PDF competition will open in October 2018.
WHAT IS ON OFFER?
The PDF grants provide funding for up to one year full-time, or up to two years part-time. In exceptional cases, applicants can apply for a fellowship for up to 18 months; however, this must be fully justified by the programme of activities being proposed.
- the Fellow's salary costs;
- indirect costs;
- estate costs; and,
- up to £10,000 of other costs.
As for 2018/19 we expect to encourage applications from applicants whose proposal is aligned with UKRI/ESRC industrial strategy. For this competition, the ESRC defined alignment as either addressing specific skills gaps (AQM or data skills/science) or as entailing direct engagement with a business or industry partner.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR A SeNSS ESRC-FUNDED PDF?
For 2018/19 the call was open to applicants who had:
1) completed their PhD at a research organisation that is part of a current ESRC-funded Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) or Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT). A list of these DTPS and CDTs is available at the bottom of the ESRC Post-Doctoral Fellowships web page; AND,
2) by the application deadline (ordinarily in mid to late March of each year), either been awarded a PhD or submitted their thesis and passed their viva voce with minor corrections, with the expectation that their PhD will be awarded by the Fellowship start date; AND,
3) no more than 12 months of active post-doctoral experience. This 12 month period is calculated from the viva voce being passed to the closing date of the competition. The closing date will be announced in October 2018.
WHICH UNIVERSITIES CAN I APPLY TO?
The SeNSS Consortium consists of the following ten universities:
· City, University London
· University of East Anglia
· University of Essex
· Goldsmiths, University of London
· University of Kent
· Reading University
· Roehampton University
· Royal Holloway, University of London
· University of Surrey
· University of Sussex
WHICH PATHWAYS OR DISCIPLINES CAN I APPLY FOR?
SeNSS offers studentships across 13 Pathways, which are discipline-based:
· Business and Management Studies (offered by City, UEA, Essex, Kent, Reading, Royal Holloway,
Surrey and Sussex);
· Development Studies (offered by UEA, Reading, Royal Holloway, Surrey and Sussex);
· Economics (offered by City, UEA, Essex, Reading, Royal Holloway, Surrey and Sussex);
· Education (offered by UEA, Goldsmiths, Reading, Roehampton and Sussex);
· Human Geography (offered by UEA, Reading, Royal Holloway and Sussex);
· Linguistics (offered by UEA, Essex, Kent, Reading and Surrey);
· Politics and International Relations (offered by UEA, Essex, Kent, Reading, Royal Holloway
· Psychology (offered by UEA, Essex, Goldsmiths, Kent, Reading, Royal Holloway and Sussex);
· Science, Technology, and Sustainability Studies (offered by UEA, Kent, Surrey and Sussex);
· Social Anthropology (offered by UEA, Goldsmiths, Kent, Roehampton and Sussex);
· Social Work and Social Policy (offered by UEA, Kent and Sussex);
· Socio-Legal Studies (offered by UEA, Essex, Kent, Reading and Sussex); and,
· Sociology (offered by City, Essex, Goldsmiths, Kent and Sussex).
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A PDF?
The 2018/19 ESRC PDF advert, call specification, FAQs and a template application form are provided below:
ESRC PDF application form - the ESRC application form, on which the SeNSS application is based, is provided in order to enable applicants to begin planning their applications. However, please note that SeNSS will only accept online applications, via its FluidReview portal. This portal will open in October 2018 for the 2019/20 PDF competition. Please note that, once the competition opens, you will require an access code in order to use FluidReview, which you can obtain through the SeNSS administrative lead at the university at which you plan to be based. Their contact details are available on the "Contacts" page of the SeNSS website.
WHO DO I CONTACT IF I HAVE ANY QUERIES?
If you have any queries, please contact the SeNSS administrative lead at the SeNSS partner university you plan to apply to, email the SeNSS office, at firstname.lastname@example.org.